Monday, September 19, 2011

World Music

Why hello there neighbor,
I'm taking a class called World Music. It is one of the classes offered to undergraduate students to fill the "non-western civics" requirement of Zoology students. In all honesty, it is known as the easiest class at our beloved university, so it was an easy choice for me.
The class talks about the different styles and textures of music from around the world. It has been relatively interesting so far, but not compared to any science course I have ever taken. We were just tested over Native American music. Even though I speak a little bit of Cherokee, I didn't realize the music worked. Did you know that a large portion (at least of the music I was exposed to for this class) is untranslatable? It is just a string of nifty sounds thrown together.
The best part of the class is the instructor, Dr. Goza. He is a formal orchestral conductor, but I would say he prides himself mainly on his interpretations of the world. He sees the world in a way 180 degrees different from the way the average Joe sees the world. He has a daily rant about the strangest things. Some of these rants include:
We shouldn't have programs to help veterans re-assimilate to society, but instead sing them songs to fight off the evil spirts. 
Humanity evolved its ability to create society from the use of hallucinogenic mushrooms.
If the economy is going down the drain, we should cut science funding and replace it with more art and music funding. That way we spark creativity, which is what will lead us to a new financial plan.

Even though I think he might be crazy, I like that he believes in himself and is confident in who he is as a person. Well done sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment