Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The internet is creepy

Hi nerds,
So my parents have been looking at houses in Albuquerque for the past few days. They found one that they liked and sent me the address. I googled the address and found an online listing for the house. After taking the virtual tour, I felt like I had actually been there. I gave my parents my opinions about the house and took dibs on a bedroom. After that, I Google mapped the house. Saw the neighborhood and its area. Its pretty close to one of the high schools in the area, so its walking distance for my mom if she works there. I then noticed that the neighbors had a trampoline and a slide, so assumed they must have elementary school aged kids. I found a link from the houses listing page to an elementary school in the area. They showed that their is a bus stop right in front of the neighbors house. Then I was able to look at average per square foot prices for houses in the area. That lead me to a website by the guy who was developing the whole neighborhood.
The whole internet detective thing was pretty nifty, but it freaked me out how much I could learn in such a short amount of time. Its kinda freaky what all is on the internet, and to think that bad people who aren't using the internet for innocent curiosity could do the same things. If I could do all that so quickly with practically no effort, someone who knew what they were doing could find out things about a house or person that they could use to do bad things. The internet might be as creepy as people say it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment